Tuesday, July 6, 2010

For Water That Heals Burns

This poem is dedicated to a burnt family I know. Although I doubt that you will ever experience love, I just want you to know that I feel for you and wish you, at the minimum, non-bitterness. May His love be enough to fill your empty cup.
***
Today, when I was dragged into the gas chamber of your anger
When flames shot out of your being and licked at mine
When your hurt tried to inflict wounds on me
I remembered the days I had burnt him
Today, I was healthy in mind, so I did not feel pain
I only tried to calm you and urged you to pray
I tried to reason, knowing it would not work,
But still using it as an expression of my peace towards you
I said your name over and over in an effort to soothe you
I tried to remember and re-create how quiet and patient he had been
From my space of tranquility, I sent waves to you
I still hope against hope that my words and feelings and responses
Have acted as balm, at least in part (although knowing us, I doubt it)
But today, I bow my head to him, asking for forgiveness
For the times I have done the same, especially when
Those times have destroyed his mind and cracked his love
And I fervently, selfishly pray to God
First, that I never do it again
Second, that I can touch the right button
That sends a gush of water to put out these flames
And third, that both you and I find peace
Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home